Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Norway

"Thvedt. That is a Norwegian name," confidently stated the man as he stamped my passport to allow me into Norway. He recognized my last name! Few times in my life have I had someone even pronounce my name correctly at first meeting me! I had been in Norway only a few minutes and already I felt like I belonged and was meant to spend the weekend there.

My traveling partner for the weekend was Liz, who is Norwegian herself, and we had a grand time checking out Oslo's sights and museums. My first impression of Norway was that it is so beautiful! I really didn't have any idea that the area around Oslo had everything: mountains, water (fjords), and a plethora of orange and yellow fall trees. We were also blessed with gorgeous weather all weekend! The sky was blue and the air was autumn crisp.
I can't say I learned much Norwegian while I was in Oslo, though. I know now that "utgang" is exit and "tuck" (sp?) is thanks. I experienced a bit of culture shock with everyone speaking a different language and all the signs being in Norwegian as well. Thankfully, almost everyone we talked to also spoke English (how spoiled we are!).



Oslo had wonderful museums! I saw "The Scream" by the Norwegian artist Munch, the Kon-Tiki museum was really well done (be jealous Dad!), The Viking Ship Museum, Norwegian Open-air Folk Museum, Vigeland Sculpture Park and great views of the fjord from on top of the Akershus Fortress.
I will remember Norway for its beauty, learning "utgang" means exit, our inability to find a grocery store, how expensive it is, and how good it was to go to a place that felt a little bit like home.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

cute shoes :)
I'm jealous that you got to visit the motherland....:( I want to go back to my roots too...me next me next! It sounds like you're really starting to find a groove over yonder there....

Beware the groooooooove...
I must hear this story of Utgat or however you spelled that....

Unknown said...

i like your scarf

Anonymous said...

Ames! I miss you oodles! I'm so jelous! I remember Bath and Jane Austen! Did you see the WORLD'S LARGEST COSTUME MUSEUM in Bath too?????? I bet Norway was incredible! Can you believe it's already October? Ahhhh! I just got back from New Mexico... I set my hair on fire while we were there. The same day I slaughtered a sheep and listened to Navajo Drums and got a really bad sunburn... you're jelous I know it! I love you to bits and will hopefully be mailing you soon!

Anonymous said...

Ooops! Love, Britta

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.