Sunday, October 14, 2007

Stonehenge and Bath

I saw one of the seven wonders of the world this weekend! It almost felt weird seeing something "in real life" that I have seen hundreds of times in picture form. Above is a picture of my roommate, Abby, and I in front of the grand rocks.



Leah and I tried making a human stonehenge with Venice... it didn't work very well.


After the ancient rocks, we got back on the coach (they don't call it a bus here) and went to the quaint little town of Bath. The town is appropriately named as we quickly learned when we toured the Roman Baths there. The Romans once invaded the area and built up a temple and leisure facility out of the natural hot springs in Bath. I really enjoyed seeing the baths because the museum was very well done and the ancient peoples' obsession with the baths is interesting. We touched the warm bath water, even though the museum people told us not to...

An important facet of Bath for me was the fact that Jane Austen lived there! I can see now why Bath was such great inspiration for her novels. We found the Jane Austen Centre and I took a lovely picture with Miss Austen... well, sort of.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

ack!!! I'm so jealous!! that is like the coolest trip you've taken ever! Did the books totally come to life for you there? sigh.....

Amy said...

Yes! I understand better now Jane Austen's books! The town of Bath was so adorable! I felt like I should be wearing an empire waist dress and be shopping for ribbons. Loved it!