Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Classes

I had someone ask if I ever went to class. I suppose this is a good question because my blog posts may have led you to believe that I'm not really STUDYING abroad. So, here is my response and update on the 12 credits I am taking here in London.

British Experience: Talk about what we think of London, ask questions, discuss travel, ect. We also get London assignments which are usually specific museums or parts of the city we must go to and journal about. Our assignment for this class is to always be journaling!

Contemporary Britain: Learn about British life by studying everything from the Royal Family to Britishness to Government to the media. It's interesting to compare Brits to Americans.
(The previous two are classes that everyone in the program is required to take together.)

Calligraphy: I love this class! It's a joy to go to each Tuesday morning and just sit and write beautiful letters for a couple of hours. My professor is wonderful and knows her stuff because she is a professional calligrapher. I also find this class interesting because I am the youngest person in the room by about 30 years. :)


Art in London: This is another class I have with my peers here in Vandon House. We meet each week at a different art gallery in London. It's a great way to visit the galleries! And almost like having a free tour guide each week with our professor showing us around and pointing out the artist's intentions or a different view of a piece.

Drawing: I have this class at London Metropolitan University, so I feel very small when I go there. It's a good class though with lots of interesting students. I realize how much I love drawing whenever I go!

So, that's what I do here when I'm not playing. :) But above all, I think the greatest learning experience is being away from home and trying to understand the culture here. I'm also learning a lot about traveling and flexibility.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you do go to class......good dad

Unknown said...

hehehe.....
I'm glad you enjoy Calligraphy, my mom will be sooo happy....you know she does that stuff....

So when do we get to hear about your fall break trip? huh huh? i completely forgot to ask on skype.....we talked for two hours and still didn't cover everything....ah well.... miss you! love you!

Unknown said...

oops...i just looked at your posts...and you already blogged fall break....*smacks forehead* carry on then

Chris Rensink said...

I might sleep tonight knowing you are there for a purpose now :) Sounds like some good classes

Amanda said...

Hi Amy! I don't really remember how I came across your blog, but it sounds like you're having a great semester! Yes, I am heading off to France in the spring. I'm getting excited! I hope you enjoy the time you have left in London!