Saturday, September 22, 2007

Greenwich

Yesterday, our group went to Greenwich, which is a small suburb of London. Greenwich is significant because the prime meridian is located there. The Royal Observatory is located on top of a hill that overlooks London. The prime meridian line is clearly shown, so I was able to take a picture with a foot in each hemisphere!


The Observatory also has many telescopes... and clocks because time all over the world is measured from Greenwich.







In Greenwich (which, by the way, is pronounced "Grenich") Leah, Venice and I ate at a delicious Chinese restaurant. Venice is from Hong Kong so she loved taking us there and advising us on what to order. It was so nice to eat out, even though it is expensive, because we have to make all our own food in Vandon House. ***As a side note, if any of you reading this have any simple, good recipes-- SEND THEM TO ME! I am learning to be a better cook, but I am running out of ideas.***


Another Greenwich highlight was The Painted Hall of the Old Royal Navel Academy. The entire hall was painted from floor to ceiling with nautical references, angels, royalty, and mythological figures. It was so beautiful! I spent some time laying on the cold, stone floor just staring up in wonder at the skill of the artist. The hall was meant to be a dining room for the academy, but after it was painted it was thought to be too well done for just eating in, so it's been open for tourists ever since. I wish I could better describe to you how incredible it was!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ack! Chinese without me :(

As for simple recipes I just had the most amazing pizza ever today...

Chicken and bbq sauce mixed together spread over a tortilla. Those oblong tomatoes not sure what they're called and then monteray jack cheese and cilantro. Bake at like 3:50 till cheese is melted and crust is crispy. Serve!

- to make it spicey use spicyer bbq sauce and spicyer cheese....

also she served it with tossed salad it was tre good...

anyways...miss you!!!

Chris Rensink said...

I shall send you some. Looks like you are having a blast!

Unknown said...

is that a new purse i see in the picture of you straddling the W and E hemisphere?

Anonymous said...

Uhh, cute purse! (I see that Anna and I think alike!)
Britta